Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Info Request: Looking for alternatives in HA/Load balancingfirewalls that are also scalable and modular. . .

From: David Lang <dlang () digitalinsight com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 07:57:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Jan Tietze wrote:

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 16:06:42 -0400, "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com> wrote:
Sounds like a big firewall.  I'm curious, though, as to why load-balancing
is a requirement.  My experience has been that an appropriately-sized
single
firewall as part of a fail-over pair is more reliable and performs better
than a comparable load-balanced firewall.

I'd say that's really implementation specific. I can see why this would be the case, but that really depends on the
actual solution.

unless you have a seperate device doing the load balancing you end up with the situation where the traffic arrives at firewall A that firewall B has the state info for (since there isn't any firewall I am aware of that will let you sync full state info in real time for any traffic loads high enough to actually need load balancing). When this situation takes place firewall A now needs to notice that the traffic should be on firewall B and forward the traffic to that box.

since a single firewall can saturate a gig ethernet line nowdays (even "slow" application proxy firewalls can do this easily per vendor specs, which indicates that they probably are close enough to doing so in real life that this is an issue), if you really need load balancing where do you get the bandwidth to do this?

David Lang

The only other firewall vendor I can think of that does (or at least
claims
to do) load-balancing is Symantec Enterprise Firewall.  However, you may
also want to look at third-party load-balancing solutions like Radware
FireProof or Foundry ServerIron.

StoneSoft StoneGate has really neat clustering with dynamic re-distribution of load etc. They also used to do deliver
load balancing solutions for Checkpoint for a long time.

-- Jan

--
There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no
deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.