Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Info Request: Looking for alternatives in HA/Load balancing firewallsthat are also scalable and modular. . .

From: David Lang <dlang () digitalinsight com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:10:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, ArkanoiD wrote:

Well, i guess it is firewall to protect some kind of public server, that's
the only configuration where you need truly scalable HA solution.

When it comes to protecting LANs it is better to have multiple branch firewalls.

Am i right?

actually I would think the opposite, Internet bandwidth is generally FAR more limited then LAN bandwidth. a 'high bandwidth' server farm on the Internet is generally doing traffic in the tens to hundreds of Mb/sec, a 'high bandwidth' server on a LAN is probably connected to multple 100Mb or 1Gb ethernets. In both the Internet and LAN environments I lean towards multiple smaller firewalls, each doing one thing (with a simple config) as opposed to a large firewall doing it all (with a complex config). it's just easier to do simple things right repeatedly then to do complex things right.

in general I don't think that people realize this, the mentality seems to be 'I need a big, scaleable firewall to protect my Internet servers' and at the same time 'oh, that's only on the lan, it doesn't need a big firewall to protect it'. In part I think that this is becouse Internet bandwidth is very expensive compared to LAN bandwidth, so people think that the firewalls to protect them should be priced accordingly.

yes there are extremely high end server farms that can have Gb/sec of traffic, but those are relativly rare, and each is a special case that provides different logical ways to segment the traffic.

(Again, my favorite rant: there are actually at least 3 completely different
device types all of them called "firewalls", and they differ in functional
requirements and architecture. It leads to major misunderstading.)

very true

David Lang