Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Info Request: Looking for alternatives in HA/Load balancing firewallsthat are also scalable and modular. . .

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 09:34:00 -0400

-----Original Message-----
Subject: RE: [fw-wiz] Info Request: Looking for alternatives in HA/Load
balancing firewallsthat are also scalable and modular. . .

We have initial estimates of 300-500 GB/day in SMTP traffic alone, due to
an application that typically sends data in via SMTP in
2MB bundles.  But they ALSO want to up the resolution of the graphics
inside the bundles, so we've been told to expect an order
of magnitude jump about the time we start implementing in the 2008-2009
timeframe.  And the data will tend to peak and valley a
lot. . . So, realistically, we're talking an initial traffic of 3-5 TB/day
in SMTP alone.

We have multiple OC's coming in, bandwidth isn't the immediate worry, it's
throughput. . .

While that sounds like a lot of data, it's really not.  You could probably
get by on a single T3, and an OC3 is certainly more than enough.  Latency
and peak throughput are essentially non-issues because SMTP is not
user-facing.  Therefore, load-balancing is also a non-issue.  At this point,
you should focus stability over performance.  Just my $0.02.

PaulM