Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: The home user problem returns

From: hermit921 <hermit921 () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:45:32 -0700

I will weigh in with my experience. About 2000 users in my company, and nearly 20% of them managed to get infected during one week a year or two ago. That mess generated enough pressure that many of the desktops now have patches forced onto them, but almost none of the users learned anything. I take that back, several of them learned I am a NUT, because I said Internet Explorer isn't safe to use.

On the good side, I have a friend who is almost totally computer illiterate, but has never had a virus or spyware or any other malware. Rule #1: never double click any attachment. If you have to open it, choose a program that should open that type of file and do a File -> Open. Blindly following these rules has kept her safe for over 10 years. So I know people can learn, at least by rote, regardless of understanding. Rule #2: never use Microsoft software. This probably helps an immense amount, too.

hermit921