Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: The home user problem returns

From: StefanDorn () bankcib com
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:04:52 -0500

Let me get this straight,

You 'secured' your wife's PC by removing a few pieces of software, put
Mozilla on it, slapped on some freeware spyware detection and just let 'er
rip?

Rule #1: Don't let a system access the internet unless you've secured the
access, and know exactly what's allowed inbound and outbound through your
network.

Rule #2: Don't let people who don't know what they are doing run with
administrative permissions, or full access to your network services.

Rule #3: If you run Windows, get an antivirus and configure it to scan
everything that comes in and out of the system, be it a read/write
operation or network traffic. It's not the ideal solution, but until
Microsoft makes their OS a little smarter, you need it.

I think user education is important. However, there needs to be a control
for those people who simply refuse to learn it. Using Marcus' car buying
analogy, you could take it a step further by looking at people getting
licensed to drive. Driving without a license can land you a fine or in
jail for a night, or if you were to get in an accident, you can encounter
some serious legal repercussions.

People who refuse to learn the rules of the road don't get licenses, and
if someone who is licensed breaks the rules too many times, their license
and record can be marked and/or revoked.

ISPs could adopt this model by either classifying users based on testing
them on their knowledge (take a few web based tests about web security or
something, and the ISP will open up more ports/access for you?), or
perhaps by basing it on limiting or locking out repeat offenders.

Stefan Dorn