Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Hopefully not too OT

From: "Paul Melson" <psmelson () comcast net>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 17:12:59 -0400

I fear that a jammer would give you a false sense of security.  For one,
they're not totally effective, especially against ad-hoc networks in close
proximity to each other.  Sure, they kill performance, but they don't shut
it down.  Secondly, they can actually assist those airsnort-ing your space
in collecting unique IV's should your rogue users be well-intentioned enough
to use WEP.  Thirdly, many jammers only operate in the 2.4GHz band - in the
US alone you can buy WiFi products that operate at 915MHz and 5.8GHz, to say
nothing of FHSS vs. DSSS.  And, perhaps more importantly, jammers are not at
all neighborly if your offices share space or proximity to businesses that
do choose to use WiFi.

Not to say that I have a better technical solution, but if you don't want
*people* in or with your organization to use wireless, then you have a
*people* problem that requires a people solution.

PaulM