Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Transitive Trust: 40 million credit cards hack'd

From: Bill Sharrock <tux () wi rr com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 02:59:25 -0500

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 13:06 -0400, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Behm, Jeffrey L. wrote:
You don't gotta outrun the bear, just
the guy next to you.

That's the strategy that's gotten us where we are today.

It works great assuming the bear count remains a constant and the
bears don't suddenly all come equipped with overdrive. It also
assumes that bears exercise reason in selecting their targets.
Next-gen malware breaks all of those assumptions.

mjr.

But going back to the issue of trust, do I really care more about the
bear or about the fact that the guy I left in the dust just happens to
be carrying the backpack I put my insulin in? Sure I'm not mauled but I
can't say that I'm not in danger from the attack.

The worst part is it doesn't matter if the bear is some super,
genetically enhanced, cyber-bear. Now that I have to consider the lowest
common denominator in my troop (again), I'm back to worrying about
Smokey and Gentle Ben.

Well, that's my two cents adjusted for inflation. Thanks for listening.

Bill