Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Transitive Trust: 40 million credit cards hack'd

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:59:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Behm, Jeffrey L. wrote:

True, Marcus, but not everyone _does_ use 2 factor auth. So, at this
point, it can be effective.  You don't gotta outrun the bear, just
the guy next to you.

That assumes (1) a single bear OR (2) that you can outrun the bear in the
time it takes it to disable the other target.

Autonomous malcode changes that equation, as does semi-random targeting.

Now, personally, I'm all for making most of the current crop of attacker
tools outdated, not because I think it'll make us safe, but because it'll
force attackers to keep up, and I'd rather they not be provided the
option of being lazy if we all have to work too.  But more importantly,
two factor authentication starts to provide a really good base for
accountability- and THAT is what we *need*.  The only problem is that the
m0r0ns will all want "soft tokens" to lower the attacker's bar again.

Paul