Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Biometrics (was Re: Username password VS hardware token plus PIN)

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:21:24 -0400

Paul D. Robertson wrote:
I don't think a wrist is that much more trouble than a finger to a
machette

I know you're just being funny, but this all misses an important
point: against an opponent that is willing to physically attack,
threaten, or torture you ALL authentication systems
are worthless. Especially if you assume a level of indirection
can be added (I.e.: "log me into the system or your child dies.")

There's only so good it's worth making these things. My problem
with biometrics is that they're not even *that* good without a
heck of a lot of extra mechanisms and tweakage. Biometrics
are really only good if you, ummm.... sell biometrics.

mjr.