Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Biometrics

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 01:04:08 +0530

On 14/04/05 15:01 -0400, broyds () rogers com wrote:
   The overall lesson I get from this is that one needs to do a true
cost-benefit analysis of every authentication scheme. Don't just take the
"it is more secure" mantra and apply it indiscriminately. We all agreed
that the value of the owner's finger is greater than the value of the
Mercedes, so a security technology that can cost the finger while
protecting the Merc is not a valid cost-benefit trade-off. This seems
obvious in hindsight, but it probably was not considered in creation
of the biometric authentication device for the Mercedes.

Wasn't that supposed to be a basic requirement of the security process?
Cost of the security system vs cost of loss of asset?

  This is one problem with nearly all biometric devices. Since they depend on
biological characteristics for providing the authenticity check, they are
bypassed/breached by subverting those processes. But subversion of a biologic
process can have far more catastrophic consequences than bypass of other
processes such as binary processes.

As Paul said, we need to actually look at failure modes of
authentication systems, and the extent that an attacker will go to to
breach your defenses. Traditionally, actual physical harm has been
positioned as being in the domain of the three letter agencies rather
than being in common use. But when the value of a system being secured
is relatively[1] high enough, we need to consider additional failure
modes as well.

Devdas Bhagat
[1] Relative to the gain available to the attacker in local currency. A
1000 USD laptop is much more valuable to sell in a country where the
monthly income is below 100 USD.