Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Biometrics (was Re: Username password VS hardware token plus PIN)

From: "Jeremiah Cornelius" <jeremiah () nur net>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 00:18:05 -0700

Fingerprint scans, as I've seen implemented, represent significantly
less entropy that the 14 character "complex" password.  The grids are
pretty coarse.

Biometrics are maybe a good replacement for PINs, used to authenticate a
two-factor item, like a smartcard or time-based number token.  In fact I
wish this were available!  They're crap for password replacement.

There is a certain vendor selling fingerprint readers for Windows domain
logon.  They are "stashing" a tough password behind a low-entropy
fingerprint.  Business is good, because... "Hey! Biometrics!"

Microsoft - to their credit - is marketing a fingerprint reader only as
a store for low-grade, website passwords and IM logins.