Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Biometrics (was Re: Username password VS hardware token plus PIN)

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () immunix com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:45:42 -0700

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

In the case where you have a human guard in the system,
the human guard will generally (assuming it's not a
$7/hr idiot) so dramatically out-perform a computer system
that you may as well omit the computer system entirely.
I roll to disbelieve. This study shows 71% of people will give up their password for a candy bar http://www.enterpriseitplanet.com/security/news/article.php/3342871 Kevin Mitnick was most successful with exploits that involved social engineering. I don't actually believe that "Private Bob" is significantly resistant to a social engineering attack.

   * Scientist: Bob, this here is my girlfriend, and I don't want my
     wife to find out, so could you look the other way?
   * Bob: Why, sure ...

Like other multi-factor authentication systems, I suspect that biometrics + human guard works much better than either in isolation.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/
CTO, Immunix          http://immunix.com