Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: About Port Forwarding, Apache and Firewall Rules

From: Chuck Vose <vosechu () roman-fleuve com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:53:40 -0700

There is no God-given, natural law or Constitutional right to Internet
access.  What there is are for-profit companies (mostly) that provide
various levels of Internet access, for a fee, under contractual
agreement.

Btw: *Most* DSL and cable broadband providers do have SOHO/business
packages that allow the running of services and give one static IP
addresses.  Many areas of the country have alternate (usually DSL)
broadband providers that can supply business-class connectivity.  Of
course: These options all come at a price.

There are even other things that DSL that can also work nicely for remote
areas. Satelite is the farthest reaching but usually has terrible upload.
ISDN can get rates up to 1.544 Mbps and is very far reaching if I recall
correctly.

I agree with Jim, no company is obligated to provide you anything not
implicitly stated, especially if it causes the company loss of revenue or
general hassle.

There are very few ISP monopolies, China is one of the few that managed it.
There is almost always another way provided you're willing to do the research
or lay 100baseT4 lines yourself.

Why not just find a nice colocation or free server? Beigetower.org is still
one of my favorites and it's free, full shell and everything.

Good Luck, apologies for jumping into the middle of a conversation,
Chuck Vose