Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: About Port Forwarding, Apache and Firewall Rules

From: jseymour () linxnet com (Jim Seymour)
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:25:33 -0400 (EDT)

David Lang <david.lang () digitalinsight com> wrote:

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Mister Coffee wrote:

[snip]

Range on ISDN is fairly impressive.  I know the range is measured in at
least 10's of miles, rather than DSL's 18K/feet (more or less, depending
on carrier, speed, etc.)

IDSL will go ~30k ft, it's what I have to use at home, at $90/month :-(

[snip]

ISDN is a different story, it is available just about anywhere that normal
phone service is available, but useually comes with per-min useage fees
[snip]

ISDN has a max. of 18,000 feet, un-repeated.  With a mid-span
repeater:  Theoretically 36,000 feet, but TelCo's are sometimes (?)
unwilling to provision a circuit more than roughly 30,000 feet, as the
cable runs, from the CO.

IDSL is simply DSL-over-ISDN.  The two ISDN B channels (64k each) and
the D channel (16k) are bonded to create a single 144k IDSL circuit.

I don't know whether it's a limitation of IDSL, or risk aversion on the
part of DSL CLECs or their resellers, but you'll rarely get an IDSL
circuit installed more than 30,000 (cable) feet from the CO.

My neighborhood was Project Pronto'd a couple years ago or more.  My
IDSL circuit runs over LightSpan (fiber) from the CO to a DLC (digital
line card) in an SEV (underground sealed environmental vault) for most
of the 25,000 feet between me and the CO, and the last 8,000 feet or so
is copper.

Jim