Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: About Port Forwarding, Apache and Firewall Rules

From: Mister Coffee <live4java () stormcenter net>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 12:02:34 -0700

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 01:53:40PM -0700, Chuck Vose wrote:
There is no God-given, natural law or Constitutional right to Internet
<snippage>
course: These options all come at a price.

There are even other things that DSL that can also work nicely for remote
areas. Satelite is the farthest reaching but usually has terrible upload.
ISDN can get rates up to 1.544 Mbps and is very far reaching if I recall
correctly.

Just one point - having been in a situation where finding an "alternative" to Cable Modem connection was imperative, I
can add/correct something here.  ISDN can provide up to 128kb/Sec, not 1.53Mb/sec.  IDSL, effectively DSL over ISDN
lines gets up to 144kb/sec by combining both B channels (64kb/sec each) and the D channel (16kb/sec) that's normally
used for control.

Range on ISDN is fairly impressive.  I know the range is measured in at least 10's of miles, rather than DSL's 18K/feet
(more or less, depending on carrier, speed, etc.)

Cheers,
L4J