Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: The State of Information Security, 2004 (survey)

From: "Robert Brewer" <fumanchu () amor org>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 07:34:41 -0700

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Speaking of "Bad Surveys" here's a classic. This just came
across the radar screen this evening....

I've chopped huge hunks out and added my own snotty remarks
inline to try to illustrate some of the things I was talking about
in my rant last week.

The State of Information Security, 2004
By Lorraine Cosgrove Ware
Executive Summary

In terms of title, fifty-eight of the respondents held IT
titles including CIO, vice president, director and manager,
and executives while 11% were information security
professionals. Fourteen percent of those surveyed held
CEO, CFO or non-IT director titles while17% listed "other."

This breakdown is also interesting!!

In a paragraph above, the authors of the article write:
"The results shown in this report are based on the responses of
more than 8,000 CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, CSOs, vice presidents and
directors of IT and information security from 62 countries"
Which sure makes it sound like the survey respondents were execs
and bigwigs. But then in terms of title at the bottom they disclose
that 58 out of the respondents held IT titles. In other words,
0.7% (that's 7 in a thousand!) were CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, CSOs
etc... -- a bit of a contradiction.

Not to take the wind out of your sails, but I think it's safe to assume
they meant 58 _percent_.

 58
+14
+11