Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: How to Save The World (was: Antivirus vendor conspiracy theories)

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 21:17:28 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Devdas Bhagat wrote:

We need to publish a book of rants ;).

In all seriousness, I have often thought it would be cool to have a
'best-of' compilation from the archives. It would just be a freaking
nightmare for someone to read it all and pick 'em, sadly.

I've been considering a book idea, or just incorporating more practical
matter into the Firewall FAQ- unfortunately, those I've attempted to rope
into helping with the FAQ seem to have slipped the ropes..

Well, that sounds like a call for volunteers. Editorial nominations
please? Or maybe the ex and current moderators get nominated as editors
(if they are willing) and we can send the best threads, rants and quotes
of our choice to them for filtering and compiling.

I'm willing to consider being volunteered.

This should give some interesting results, given the level of clue on
this list.

Indeed.

In context, is http easy to proxy securely? AFAIK, HTTP is a major
offender because the protocol does not specify limits for a lot of
operations but leaves them implementation and configuration dependent.

It's worse, it specifies no limits in a few places AFAIR.

So, are there any good stateful inspection engines which can analyse
data streams, and stop attacks? Including the capability to decode
encoded (as opposed to encrypted) traffic on the fly? Can I poke at an
email stream and figure out that this HTMLised base64 encoded mail with
inline attachment is spam/a virus, but this other thing is not? And then
break the communication without having it time out or get interrupted
(which is responded to by resending the mail again)? And what happens
with UTF8 data streams?

Hehehe...

There are two reasons why I like "Deep Inspectotron Application Fireweasels
(DIAF)" better than true proxies.

1. You don't have to implement the whole damn thing, which leaves you more
time to get to grips with filtering out badstuff. This is the key reason
DIAF != "Proxy But Different"

IMHO, it is better to filter out the good stuff and pass it through.
Defaulting to a state of denial is a good thing.

2. You can do it way, way faster with little effort. It's very amenable to
turning into circuits.

Lots of people probably see 1. above as a negative, not a positive, and I
used to think that way as well. However, I do not believe that it is
possible to implement the same kind of strict proxy that we used to be able
to do with, say, SMTP or FTP. Given that vendors don't/won't/can't do that,
they make cop-out proxies for the tricky protocols, which basically just
take attack traffic and add 150ms latency. Like Gauntlet. (I can tease them
now they're dead ;) Rather than do that, why _not_ pull out known bad stuff
based on generic "you probably don't want that much data in this header", or
"I doubt this mail address is meant to contain a 300K uuencoded attack
payload" type rules.

I think that it is much more about the default stance that is associated
with each product. A proxy firewall implies a default deny stance
(plug-gw excepted). A DIAF tends to make me think of a default allow

Plug-gw is why I prefer the term "application layer gateway"- since
plug-gw is really a transport layer proxy, and it should be differentiated
(well, I still think the thing should have been killed before release.)

stance. If a strict proxy is not available, perhaps those protocols
should not be used on the open internet? There are tunneling
technologies available which can make the use of those protocols
reasonably safe.

Now I don't use DIAFs, we don't sell 'em, I have no vested interest, I just
think it's slighter nicer to have a DIAF than a plain ol' boring FW,
PROVIDED that it doesn't use IDS style signatures. I do not, however, think
that a DIAF goes any significant way to obviating the need for defence in
depth and host protection, as some marketeers will try to claim. It's more
like version upgrading your firewall than implementing a 'new' technology.

Right. And at that point, I will raise the question of what a DIAF is
worth if it takes a significant effort to maintain but gives low
returns.

Paul
Ranter-in-Chief