Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Antivirus vendor conspiracy theories

From: Danny <nocmonkey () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 15:33:24 -0500

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:57:47 +0100, Ben Nagy <ben () iagu net> wrote:
[MHawkins]
Antivirus vendors have painted themselves into their own
conspiracy theoried
corner by purveying a product that is based on technology
that is purely
reactive and for the last ten years they've use one method
of protection
thereby enabling other attack vectors to be repeatedly successful.

And this is a bad thing WHY, exactly? AV does a very good job, in general,
at looking at dodgy things as they enter and leave the filesystem. That was
the original job of AV and remains the core of the products.

You are referring to host-based AV, of course.

A firewall, for example, does a generally good job of allowing or declining
traffic at layer 3/4, but a generally crappy job at looking at layer 7. That
doesn't mean that firewall vendors are hopeless and that they haven't
evolved over the last ten fifteen years.

Two words: Fortinet's Fortigate. (No, I do not work for Fortinet. I
work in the IT dept. of a food processing company). I am sure there
are many upper-layer-aware firewalls, but for the price, I haven't
found much competition.

The problem starts when "the market" start expecting FW+AV to protect them
from all current threats - well they don't. You may as well get mad at your
fire alarm when the pipes burst in your roof.

FW+AV in one, works well here.

At a host level malware is using a bunch of different attack vectors which
were never in-spec for AV. Worms work by hijacking execution somehow, which
is all happening in memory, before the AV gets a shot at it. They require no
user interaction to spread, whereas AV have typically looked at Viruses
(gasp) which _do_ require user interaction.

Concentrate on the perimeter with upper-layer-aware Firewalls if you
can't rely (we don't) on host-based AV

Spyware, adware and all those tasty browser malwares work by exploiting the
security identity of IE, making it impossible for an AV to tell that the
functions are not what was intended.

Security through obscurity combined with a wee bit of education works
here. You are very pessimistic, sir. :)

...D