Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: How to Secure Windows? was How to Save the World

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 11:09:14 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004, Mark wrote:

Would it be enough to simply add a static arp entry on all your hosts
for the default gateway and any important hosts/servers on the local
subnet? Once you have a static entry, it won't broadcast for a mac
address to my knowledge. Something like this:
arp -s 10.0.0.1 aa-bb-cc-dd-11-22-33

If they'd not mucked up the code and had bugs that let dynamic entries
overwrite static ones...

It should be fairly simply to add the entries needed via login script or
whatnot. What about a script that deletes all cached entries first (arp
-d *) followed by the needed static entries? Not sure on the effects of
running that on a semi continuous basis. There are registry entries
controlling the default ttl of cached arp entries (default is 2 minutes,
wonder what setting it to 0 would do).

As far as NOT accepting dynamic arp entries... Disable TCP/IP. DOH!

I still want to talk TCP/IP, just to specific hosts.  It's a relatively
easy thing to do in *nix.

Paul