Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: How to Secure Windows? was How to Save the World

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:25:35 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Dave Piscitello wrote:

If you want a cheat sheet - or a template on which to baseline what
your organization ultimately decides is its security policy - then
visit the Center for Internet Security (cisecurity.org), download the
security benchmarking tool and dozen or so templates, and RTFM that
accompanies it.

That _would_ be useful, if it weren't for the fact that I can only use it
on a single computer.  If, I wanted to use their tools as a consultant,
it'd cost me $11,000 per year!  While that might be ok for E&Y, it's a
little steep for PDR ;)

Basically, using Active Directory and group policy object definition,
you can lock down W2K or XP very nicely based on these templates,
including services, file system, local administration, IE settings,
auditing/event logging and more. You can also develop policy for
locking down internet-facing servers on Win2000 and W2k3. If you're
not running AD, you can apply the same template as a local security
policy using secpol.msc or create a Group template and apply it to
individual systems using the group policy msc.

If you want the 1000-word abstract versions, visit my Windows 2000
resources page at http://hhi.corecom.com/windowsxpresources.htm

Any idea if you can make Windows *not* dynamically accept ARP entires and
rely only on static entries in the table?

Paul