Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: How to Secure Windows? was How to Save the World

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:59:22 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Dave Piscitello wrote:

Any idea if you can make Windows *not* dynamically accept ARP entires
and rely only on static entries in the table?

Not easily. Dynamic *and* static arp entries you create expire when
you reboot, so you have to work around this.

That's easy to work around- but it looks like ARP is in the driver and not
something you can control...

If you want a hack, you could run a script at startup that uses the
DOS arp command to set static arp entries for all the entries you
really want on your subnet, and also sets the unused IPs to a non-
existent MAC or local MAC? Assuming you're on a "C" equivalent or
splinter, it's a modest number of lines of script, yes?

If the netmask is small enough, however-- ARP is broken on some Windows
systems and if they're not patched, then a dynamic ARP will overwrite the
static one- I'm not sure that's good enough for me.

Anyway, if you take the trouble to write the script,
send me a copy:-)

I'm actually wondering how difficult it would be to replace the driver
with one that's static-only...  I don't think i have the docs to get there
though...

Paul