Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Dumb newbie question

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:27:11 +0530

On 17/08/04 07:55 -0400, Jim Seymour wrote:
John Babwell <johnbabwell () mailcan com> wrote:

I agree that seeing many examples first is the way to go.  With the help
of a good book like Linux Firewalls (Ziegler), going the 'pure' route as
a newbie is not so bad (if you have the time to do it right at least :).
Seeing a commented set of rules that makes sense is even better than
checking out a recommended ruleset.
[snip]

I agree.  I've always felt that old saw "A picture's worth a thousand
words" applied to software use.  Lot's of varied examples is a Good
Thing, IMO.

Lots of *documented and explained* varied examples.

That's how I got up-to-speed quickly on iptables and ipchains:
(ironically: iptables first): Ran a point-n-drool GUI tool and looked
at what it created.  Then compared that with what the docs and howtos
had to say.  Worked it out from there.

Actually, the syntax is trivial. The harder part is understanding what
chains apply on which part of the packet processing by default. Once you
get that, the syntax boils down to
iptables -t <table> -A <chain> -s <source/net> [ --sport ] -d
<destination/net> [ --dport ] [ -p proto ] [ -m <module> [ --module-option ] ]
-j <target> [ --target-option ]

On a related note: There's too much stuff to remember anymore.  This is
particularly problematical for things I don't have to touch often.  So
I usually maintain copious cheat-sheet notes.

Comments? Well written comments are good.

Router configs, for example.  I tend to dump those to flat-ASCII files
and comment them.  Particularly the ACLs.

Version Control systems are your friend. Check the config out of CVS and
load it into the router.
This works for almost any text configuration files.

Devdas Bhagat