Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Accessing a internal server from DMZ

From: "Kevin Sheldrake" <kev () electriccat co uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:42:15 +0100

Hello

The Qmail in the DMZ must communicate with the internal LAN, mustn't it? How else do your internal users get their email?

The following suggestions are based on the information you provided; without a statement of all your information requirements it's hard to provide an accurate answer. ;)

Your LDAP server would probably be best in the internal LAN, mainly because I expect this to be where the primary clients will sit. What protocol(s) will Qmail require to communicate with the LDAP server? X.500? Microsoftisms?

If your firewall is secure, and your servers are patched and properly configured then you should be fine having the Qmail communicating with the LDAP server; I'm assuming it already communicates with internal email servers or clients.

If this all sounds mad then provide some more info and I'll have another go.

Kev

Hello,

I want to setup a authentication server using LDAP
that will be used both by Samba and by Qmail.

However, Qmail is on the DMZ and Samba obviously is on
the internal LAN.

Ideally, a DMZ should not be accepted to communicate
with an internal LAN.

What should I do in this case?

Regards,
gustavo