Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Dumb newbie question

From: jseymour () linxnet com (Jim Seymour)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 07:55:24 -0400 (EDT)

John Babwell <johnbabwell () mailcan com> wrote:

I agree that seeing many examples first is the way to go.  With the help
of a good book like Linux Firewalls (Ziegler), going the 'pure' route as
a newbie is not so bad (if you have the time to do it right at least :).
Seeing a commented set of rules that makes sense is even better than
checking out a recommended ruleset.
[snip]

I agree.  I've always felt that old saw "A picture's worth a thousand
words" applied to software use.  Lot's of varied examples is a Good
Thing, IMO.

That's how I got up-to-speed quickly on iptables and ipchains:
(ironically: iptables first): Ran a point-n-drool GUI tool and looked
at what it created.  Then compared that with what the docs and howtos
had to say.  Worked it out from there.

On a related note: There's too much stuff to remember anymore.  This is
particularly problematical for things I don't have to touch often.  So
I usually maintain copious cheat-sheet notes.

Router configs, for example.  I tend to dump those to flat-ASCII files
and comment them.  Particularly the ACLs.

Jim