Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Dumb newbie question

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:49:11 -0400 (EDT)

Howdy Rip et. al.,

I disagree.  I think getting to know the iptables commands as well as all
the addon modules that are likely built into the kernel on this debian
system is important, from the commandline perspective rather then with a
sweet GUI hiding the ugly from the user.  the netfilter site has a number
of highly documented rulesets one can use as a guid when building their
own rules.  Reading through these and paying close attention to the
authors documentation for the rules given there are going to give one a
much better understanding of what is going on with the choices one wishes
to make.  It;s also going to aid one in trying to find out what is
breaking their connectivity, and fixing those issues, as well as aid one
in adapting to current needs as they arise if one has a decent
understanding of the internal of iptable/netfilter.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne