Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Personal Firewall Day?

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 12:01:56 -0400

Gary Flynn wrote:
I think we're addicted to general purpose computing because of its versatility,
freedom, and associated potential to innovate

Gary has put his finger on the one big outstanding flaw in my
argument. :( Innovation. The kind of computing environment I
think we actually need would dramatically stifle the ability to
innovate. But --- AOL users can't innovate within their AOL-sphere
and don't appear to miss it. But that's probably because they
can apply customizations via the surrounding underlying O/S.

The desire to customize is amazingly powerful and cannot be
discounted. I think it's the main reason we won't shift to the
kind of environment I think we could build that would solve
a lot of our computing problems. :(  Hey - I didn't say I had
all the answers!! Actually, I think I have all the questions! :)

mjr.