Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PIX 6.33 & DNS fixup

From: Brian Ford <brford () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:25:32 -0400

Willie,

The PIX command you mentioned (DNS fixup) has been around for some time. What it does is make sure that only one DNS response per DNS request is able to get back through the Firewall. In the past we referred to this as "DNS Guard" and it was always on. In v6.3 we give you the capability of disabling this function by issuing the "no fixup dns" command.

The "maximum length" argument is important if your PIX is protecting client computers that are capable of generating EDNS0 requests. If your client can use EDNS0 or extended DNS it can set the extended bit in the DNS request and specify that DNS responses can be longer than 512 bytes. If you have EDNS0 clients; or if you have a caching name server that is using EDNS0 then you would adjust the 512 to the packet size that your DNS is using (possibly as high as 1400).

Hope this helps.

Liberty for All,

Brian