Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Why blocking bogons buys you nothing

From: Andrea Pasquinucci <cesare () ucci it>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:50:18 +0100 (CET)

I perfectly agree, at least from a practical point of view. I would like
to add only a couple of comments:

- from a theoretical point of view, you would like to filter all traffic
entering (and exiting) your network allowing only source addresses which
have a chance to correspond to a real host

- DDoS, attacks etc. will of course use assigned addresses so to have more
possibilities to succeed

- filtering on "IANA reserved" blocks requires to check almost daily if
the block has been assigned to someone (I have personal experience with
cases where these filters have been setup, but then there was not time to
check the IANA list, and all of a sudden customers where complaining that
they could not reach some web site...)

- if you cannot/don't want to do also this work of checking, filter 0/8,
127/8, 224/3 as you say, but I would also obviously add 172.16/12 and
192.168/16 (true, you considered /8 only), and the risk/work/pain balance
would be in your favour

- I would think that is more important to have egress filtering to the
internet than to filter on "IANA reserved" blocks

Andrea

PS. these filters on "IANA reserved" blocks now are also added as optional
command in some routers/firewalls etc, with a static list of X
months/years ago and a warning that the list could be old...