Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Odd PIX / router behavior

From: "Claussen, Ken" <Ken () kccweb com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:35:58 -0500

Paul,
I would venture to say that the loopback address is configured on the
ISP's router one or two hops upstream from your Pix. It is clearly not
locally defined since you cannot ping it when specifying the inside
interface. On a Pix 515 DMZ bundle the DMZ interface defaults to this
address, but you are using the 506 which only has two interfaces. I
agree with your assessment based on the trip times, the 1605 cannot have
this configured either. It is most likely being used for BGP touting
stability by the ISP. This is a common tactic to avoid route flapping in
the BGP Internet routing tables. I suspect it is within your ISPs
network because this traffic is usually not passed between ISPs, in my
experience. As you suggested you could add access lists on the 1605
outbound dropping the traffic, or you could add them on the Pix as well.
However I would be curious to find out where the 127.0.0.1 traffic is
actually being generated from. Dropping it via access list will stop it
from being passed, but why is it there in the first place? Perhaps an
internal machine's HOSTS file has been altered and this statement was
removed, in which case the traffic would follow the default route. With
some of the recent discussions about malicious HOSTS file entries, this
seems like a plausible explanation. HTH.

Ken Claussen MCSE (NT42K) CCNA CCA
"In Theory it should work as you describe, but the difference between
theory and reality is the truth! For this we all strive"