Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Why blocking bogons buys you nothing

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 02:27:37 +0100

I was meaning to post this writeup to various places back in May
when I wrote it, but I completely forgot.  Don't ask me why.

---8<---

Why Blocking Bogons Buys You Nothing
------------------------------------

By Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>, 2003-05-24.

It appears to be "common knowledge" that blocking bogon networks
is somehow a good thing.  Here are my experiences on the matter.

On 2003-05-22, the following /8 networks between 1 and 223 are
IANA reserved according to the ARIN whois database:

  1, 2, 5, 10, 14, 23, 27, 31, 36, 37, 39, 41, 42, 46, 49, 50, 58, 59,
  70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89,
  90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105,
  106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119,
  120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178,
  179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 189, 190, 197, 223

Now, I've got seven months of firewall logs at hand right now,
from a gateway in front of a few dozen class C networks with a
couple of thousand private and corporate users.  They total about
80GB gzipped -- closer to terabyte uncompressed.

I decided to take a look at them.

What I looked at
----------------

I narrowed down the scope to the logs of the main gateway cluster;
52GB gzipped -- 600GB uncompressed and about 2 750 000 000 events.

I extracted all events (dropped packets, statelessly forwarded packets,
and statefully tracked connections) with a source IP belonging to the
above series, excluding the 10 network which is in use locally, that
arrived at the external interface of the gateway.

During this time, we've experienced one DDOS attack that actually hurt,
and a couple of smaller ones that basically only showed up as blips in
the logs. The logs also cover the SQL Slammer worm event, from its rise
to its current levels, four months later.

The results
-----------

The resulting log file was close to five megabytes.  Now, compare this to
the full log set size of 600 gigabytes.  Log events including "bogon"
source IPs are only 0.00083% of the total amount of log events.

Now, couple this with the fact that the log events involving bogons are
mostly drops, which occur once per dropped packets. The bulk of the REST
of the (non-bogon) log data is statefully tracked connections opening and
closing, and transferring anywhere between a few kbytes to several giga-
bytes in between, and you can begin to guess at the actual data ratio.

The log data, with the uninteresting fields stripped out, is available:
http://www.clueby4.org/pubs/bogons.log.gz [118KB]

Activity summary per /8 network
-------------------------------

Note that blocks with fewer than five events have
been excluded from this listing.

    1/8:  629 events
    2/8:   65 events
    5/8:   47 events
   14/8:   25 events
   23/8:   37 events
   27/8:   26 events
   31/8:  736 events
   36/8:   19 events
   37/8:   40 events
   39/8:    6 events
   41/8:   10 events
   49/8:    5 events
   50/8:   10 events
   58/8:    5 events
   70/8:  384 events
   84/8:   23 events
   88/8:    5 events
   89/8:  821 events
   90/8:  735 events
   91/8:   32 events
   92/8:  350 events
   95/8:   12 events
   96/8:    5 events
   97/8:    9 events
   98/8:  328 events
   99/8:    5 events
  100/8: 5643 events
  101/8:  663 events
  103/8:   23 events
  105/8:   15 events
  110/8:  621 events
  111/8:   41 events
  113/8:    8 events
  116/8:    5 events
  120/8:  566 events
  123/8:  126 events
  125/8: 2993 events
  126/8:   17 events
  127/8:  557 events
  173/8:    8 events
  174/8:    5 events
  175/8:  119 events
  176/8:   52 events
  177/8:  162 events
  178/8: 1735 events
  179/8:   58 events
  180/8:   20 events
  181/8:   53 events
  182/8:   30 events
  185/8:    5 events
  190/8: 1222 events
  197/8:   92 events
  223/8:   37 events

Activity summary per destination port and protocol

Note that single ports with fewer than 10 events
have been excluded from this listing.

  TCP    21:    37 events
  TCP    80:   171 events
  TCP   139:  2112 events
  TCP   445:    16 events
  TCP  1074:    10 events
  TCP  1100:    14 events
  TCP  1214:   109 events
  TCP  1433:   379 events
  TCP  2030:    24 events
  TCP  2043:    10 events
  TCP  2893:    10 events
  TCP  3419:    21 events
  TCP  3866:    15 events
  TCP  3889:    10 events
  TCP  3940:    25 events
  TCP  6346:    28 events
  TCP  6698:    22 events
  TCP  6699:    18 events
  TCP 11211:    16 events
  TCP 64641:    11 events

  UDP   137: 13244 events
  UDP  1434:    69 events
  UDP  3866:    17 events

  ICMP DEST_UNREACH:   466 events
  ICMP ECHO_REPLY  :  1405 events
  ICMP TIME_EXCEED :   129 events

Conclusion
----------

Contrary to the common belief that blocking "bogus" source addresses can
somehow protect you against distributed denial-of-service attacks or
otherwise decrease your network load, our seven months of log data
show nothing to support those beliefs.

Couple this with the fact that the networks commonly dropped as "bogus"
are, in fact, NOT bogus.  They're simply not assigned yet.  Sooner or
later, some of them will be, and the poor sods that find themselves
assigned such IP addresses will find that parts of the Internet can't
be reached. And vice versas.

I won't be installing blocks for unassigned networks any time soon.

Blocking the 0/8 network, 127/8 network and 224/3 networks is another
thing altogheter; there are firm technical and security reasons for
doing that.

Preventing spoofing attacks by making sure that networks known to live
on the inside are not heard on the outside and vice versa is also a very
good idea.

But you won't find me arbitrarily deciding that whoever has the misfortune
of being assigned 14.2.3.4 two years from now can't connect to my network.

---8<---

This is also available on
http://www.clueby4.org/pubs/blocking-bogons.txt

Posted here in its entirity because noone bothers to click URLs :)

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden