Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Home Environment Cisco

From: Brian Ford <brford () cisco com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 07:56:03 -0400

Nathan,

See in line:

From: "Nathan" <nathan.grandbois () cerdant com>
To: <salgak () speakeasy net>, <firewall-wizards () honor icsalabs com>
Subject: RE: [fw-wiz] Home Environment Cisco
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 15:57:23 -0400

But won't I be able to create an ACL based on ports in the IOS?
I can harden the systems/services if I can just restrict ports, I don't need
a firewall if I can do that.

The IOS Firewall is a stateful Firewall. You'll also have standard (IPs) and extended ACLs (IPS and ports), and CBAC (Content Based Access Control which opens new ACLs based on Firewall rules). And there are other ACLs (named, time of day, per user, etc,...)

About how much are support contracts from Cisco? And if I get one does that
only include the firmware, or do I get to bother a low level tech on the
phone too?

You get support from Cisco for up to 30 days with the purchase (hardware and software). SmartNet (support) contracts vary in price based on the turn around time for replacement equipment. They all include phone support. If your site can be down for a day or two waiting for a replacement then go for a less expensive contract. We also have additional software support contracts that send you new IOS code for your device as it becomes available. This is probably unnecessary for your home use application.

_nathan

Liberty for All,

Brian

Brian Ford
Consulting Engineer
Corporate Consulting Engineering, Office of the Chief Technology Officer
Cisco Systems, Inc.
http://www.cisco.com
e-mail: brford () cisco com