Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Home Environment Cisco

From: "Noonan, Wesley" <Wesley_Noonan () bmc com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 09:26:07 -0500

I'm not questioning their quality. I'm not questioning their value or their
use as tools. I use them both, extensively. As for howingodsname, I just
read someone say "I ran nmap on my NAT box and it found nothing, what more
can I want". As you said, tools do not convey expertise, and in this case it
clearly gave the user a very, very false sense of security. This is a bad
thing, and it doesn't matter if fydor wrote it or not, if it's open source
or if it will fix my coffee in the morning. There is much more to a security
audit than nmap or nessus. Unfortunately it seems there is a growing group
of security ignorant folks who claim to be security experts that are running
just those tools and proclaiming security panacea. That is howingodsname I
throw them into the soup.

Wes Noonan, MCSE/CCNA/CCDA/NNCSS/Security+
Senior QA Rep.
BMC Software, Inc.
(713) 918-2412
wnoonan () bmc com