Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Home Environment Cisco

From: hermit921 <hermit921 () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 10:28:51 -0700

Given all this discussion, I have to ask about NAT. I have a small Netgear DSL router (using NAT) at home. I consider it a great firewall because it doesn't let in any packets at all when I run nmap scans from the outside. It syslogs to my unix machine. What more could I want in a firewall for a home environment?

hermit921

At 10:26 PM 5/29/2003 +0200, Ben Nagy wrote:
> [...]
[deleted]

> Reminder: a 50-dollar router from BestBuy also includes a
> Firewall.  A Cisco 1600 or 2500-series will not.  And NAT is
> NOT a firewall.

[deleted]

I'm not going to run over the NAT / FW discussion again, I think my opinion
on the matter is pretty well documented in the archives, but I am more than
happy to use _dynamic_ NAT as a pretty effective security mechanism for home
users. I do normally back it up with ACLs anyway, but that's just out of
general principle.

ben