Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Home Environment Cisco

From: "Jeremiah Cornelius" <jeremiah () nur net>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 15:39:51 -0700

<snip>

Sometimes I think that GRC, NMap and Nessus are the worst security tools
out
there. People run them, get negatives and think "wow, I must really be
doing
great". Unfortunately it seems that a lot of folks seem to think that as
long as GRC "Shields UP" says everything looks good, it is.
</snip>

Howingodsname do you casually throw quality open source tools like Nessus
and nmap into the soup with ShieldsUp?

Gibson is an excitable, borderline crackpot, and ShieldsUp is good for
making people little more than aware, if not nervous.

With nmap, Fydor has advanced the state-of-the-art.  Many times!  Of course,
a good tool does not convey expertise to its user...