Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Home Environment Cisco

From: clark shishido <clark () ruminary org>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 15:46:24 -0700

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 03:22:07PM -0400, Nathan wrote:
List members,

I seek your advice regarding which Cisco router to choose, if any.

I wouldn't get a Cisco for a home router.
just get a PC with two NICs and run ipfilter on FreeBSD.
I only suggest ipf/FreeBSD since it is also available for
Solaris and can be installed on the Ultra60. Feel free to
choose pf/OpenBSD or iptables/linux depending on your
personal preference/experience.

IMHO, using a Cisco, any model, is not recommended simply
for cost and software update availability (security fixes),
unless you have readily available Cisco support already.

Of course, I've been using FreeBSD and linux more than
commercial firewalls for about 5 years now. If I had to
choose a Cisco though, I'd go with a used 2514; tried and
true, no fancy modules and it's not like you're going to
attach a T-1 to it, right?

--clark