Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Soap - Was RPCs over HTTPS through the firewall

From: Dan Schlitt <schlitt () world std com>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 14:17:23 -0400

I guess I've become too old. When I hear SOAP mentioned in a computer
context I think of the first programming language I ever used. I think
that it stood for Symbolic Optimizing Assembly Program. It was for an IBM
machine the number of which I can't accurately recall but it had a
rotating magnetic drum for memory. The optimization was intended to put
the next instruction under the read head at the completion of the previous
instruction. And you could use symbolic names! The folks in a richer
division actually had core memory for there nearly identical machine.

When I returned to grad school after that summer I graduated to a 704 and
FORTRAN.

Those were the good old days.

/dan

--