Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Protecting a datacentre with a firewall

From: "Bill Royds" <Bill () royds net>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 14:04:57 -0400

One question I would have is to ask whether it would not be better to
partition the datacenter into sub-segments according to usage and protect
each of these by a separate firewall. In this way, you could have a ruleset
on each firewall that was more closely tuned to the traffic on each
sub-segment. It increases the number of rule sets to maintain, but each of
them is much simpler and one could more easily run log analysis/IDS to find
problems with traffic.

So one subsegment might be for Windows servers that would be able to block
Unix RPC etc. from passing through the firewall, another for Unix servers
that would block any SMB traffic etc.