Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Protecting a datacentre with a firewall

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 02:03:00 +0200

mag wrote:

I found it always funny that enterprises with global intranets how
bad at recognizing that their intranet is not much better defended
than the internet itself...

All too true.

A not-so-bad solution is to group server resources of application
systems

Proper segmentation is definitely a good idea.

Also, PIXen are not just too suboptimal to be called firewalls,
but also for intranet firewalling you need a level of flexibility
you cannot achieve with a blackbox-style product, and with the
so-called market leader firewalls.

You're raising a big stink here. Especially when you continue
by touting a firewall that you contribute to yourself.

People are running various types of "blackbox non-firewalls" in all
kinds of scenarios, including hosting centers and other large-scale
facilities quite successfully.

You need a flexible operating
system base, presumably some unix flavour, and a flexible, highly
configureable firewall on top of it.

LazloCarreidas () netscape net (Lazló Carreidas) wrote:
[...] the datacentre (about 150 servers running different
flavours of Windows, NetWare, UNIX and OS/400) [...]

So prepare for a big work. We are doing it for five years, and have
at least another five years ahead. And we are not even multinational.

"a big work"?  Please tell me you're joking.

I don't think you fully realize the scale of what you are suggesting.
You're mentioning "flexible OS base". This would suggest that they
spend some unquantified amount of time tweaking it. You are also
suggesting that they run application layer gateways for 150 servers.

I'm thinking that one single ALG box isn't enough for a single choke
point to a 150-server segment. You likely need more. Then we move on
to segmentation. How many boxes can one reasonably assume that they
have the time to care for and feed, not to mention tinker with and
customize?

Those "blackbox-style products" that you so rapidly dismiss as
useless will in many cases prove more valuable than any kind of
home-grown solution.  When something is too costly to maintain -
in terms of money or time (often the latter) - to maintain, it
doesn't get done.  It's that simple.

We all know that installing and configuring MAC based stuff on a
server raises the bar considerably.  Hands up now: how many have
actually had the time?  And if you did actually find the time, are
you sure you shouldn't have been spending the time required to
correctly configure and maintain that _one_ server doing something
else?  Perhaps _several_ network/organization-wide countermeasures
that, when taken together, would have done a lot more for your
total exposure?

Here's a free clue: internal networking is quite a bit more than ssh
and http. I don't even want to try to _guess_ the number of protocols
in use in a network of this size. I could take a wild stab at the
number of _standard_ protocols in use, perhaps, but the _legacy_
ones ...?  Is your advice also that they write their own application
layer gateways for all these protocols?  And continually reverse
engineer changes to these legacy/proprietary protocols?

You _don't_ get to say "but Zorp can do plug proxies/stateful
firewalling too!", because then you've invalidated your whole
reasoning.

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden