Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: OT: FTP Servers

From: Brian Hatch <firewall-wizards () ifokr org>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 20:55:07 -0700

Didn't Dan Bernstien do an anonymous-only FTP server?

Yup, publicfile contains both an anonymous ftp server
and a http server.  (They're completely separate
processes, same tarball.)

I've used publicfile for FTP for anon ftp a long time,
and it's rock solid.  The http server, while sufficient
for flat files (and it supports virtual hosts) doesn't
do any dynamic content and has a horrible logging format.
You can patch either with 3rd party patches, but I haven't
had a chance to audit those patches, and would rather go
with Apache that has been heavily audited than take a solid
piece of DJB code and add in something untrusted.

--
Brian Hatch                  I'm dead.  Exhume me, and
   Systems and                cart me along.

Every message PGP signed