Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: OT: FTP Servers

From: "Sloane, David" <DSloane () vfa com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 16:44:57 -0400

First, I don't know if WU-FTPD is still a good server or not.

I've had good luck setting up vsftpd on linux recently.

See http://vsftpd.beasts.org

The author is a bit... enthusiastic about his project, but don't be put off
by the unusual exuberance.

The documentation is good but a little scattered - the man pages are the
most complete reference.

Security and performance seem to be the twin goals of the server and I've
found that it performs well.  My (public-facing) ftp site doesn't get a lot
of traffic, so I can't say "It's really secure" with any conviction.

I've found it integrates well with PAM security on Red Hat 9.  If you're
making a dedicated ftp server, this integration is quite useful.  For
example, you can set system-wide password-aging and disk quotas, which will
then apply to all of your ftp users.  You can chroot local users
(chroot_local_user=YES in the vsftpd.conf file) so that each user sees her
home directory as the ftp server root (forgive me if this is obvious to you
*nix wizards).  It's good stuff.

Version 1.2.0 of vsftpd just came out, but I'm still running 1.1.3 in
production till I have time to test the new build.

Good luck.

-David