Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: OT: FTP Servers

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 17:59:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr wrote:

Slightly off topic from this (which is already quite clearly off topic,
and I am making an attempt to drag it back towards firewall-wizards), I'd
be curious to know what steps the average member of the list takes to
evaluate any given piece of hardware or software.

For software, I use history of the package, history of the author/company,
feature set, code size, code quality, and peer feedback to narrow down to
"what I sould test."

"Peer feedback" (other than the opportunity to once again flog the dead
horse) was the reason for allowing this through- getting a sanity check on
"What *would* I use if I *had* to do that?" from time to time is a good
thing.  That's not to say it's a good thing to do often.

Obviously, there are still people who think WU FTPD is a good thing, and
that should be fixed.

Paul