Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: pix vs. ios firewall feature set

From: Duncan Sharp <drsharp () pacbell net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 09:43:45 -0700

"Noonan, Wesley" wrote:

Just curious, but why not throw a PIX 501 or 506 in the small offices?
Obviously, needing something other than an Ethernet interface requires a
router, but in my experience a lot of small offices are hanging off of DSL,
Cable Modem or Ethernet wired BANs (building area networks) so a PIX (or any
of the other SOHO firewalls) works really good.

Hi;

    aDSL has the special case that there are two possible router/fw solutions
    based on CISCO hardware:

        1: The 1417 router with IOS fw feature set. But this has device has
been
            is EOL, and the last IOS version is 12.1 .
            These have gone for about $150-$250 on eBay.

        2: The 1720 with wic-ADSL. This is a more current product from CISCO.
            FW feature set is possible as is IDS features.
            Last combo on eBay went for $700.

    Both options eliminate any SP modem[bridge]/router. One device to track
    up/down and error rate on DSL link. The wic-adsl is also useable with
    2600/3600/3700 routers and possibly 1600 series.

    Of course not all aDSL services are the same, you need to verify that
either
    option works with your provider.

Yours,
Duncan Sharp

Wes Noonan, MCSE/CCNA/CCDA/NNCSS/Security+
Senior QA Rep.
BMC Software, Inc.
(713) 918-2412
wnoonan () bmc com