Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Iptables script

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 08:19:39 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Luca Berra wrote:

i just hate it: everybody and his dog has written an iptable firewall
script. a search for iptables on freshmeat returns 98 hits.

I see this as a positive thing.  Lots of people are trying to secure their
boxes and providing the tools they find make the task easier.

there are some interesting things like ferm or filtergen that try to
write a frontend which a less verbose interface (things you are probably
not interested much in).
i'd have two suggestions:
1) write your own, you will probably need to read some of them to get
examples, but please, please when you are over do not put it on
freshmeat, please.

Writing your own rules is different than writing your own script.  Having
lots of choices is a good thing, even if it's a bit of work to go through
them, as it ups the chances you'll find a still-maintained and supported
option.

Picking which tools to validate is, of course harder, but that's part of
the game...

2) try shorewall (www.shorewall.net) which is a neat and well document front-end
to iptables. you'll have to write your policy with it. but i would
never trust my policy to a pre-made script.

I've had a few people recommend Firewall Builder[1] as a good "policies
like a commercial firewall" type front-end too.

It's important to understand the rules generated, and to audit them for
completeness.

Paul
[1] Never used it, but it lives at: http://www.fwbuilder.org/