Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proverbial appliance vs software based firewall

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 23:29:00 +0200

"Philip J. Koenig" wrote:

The classic argument seems to be that dedicated-ASIC-based
firewalls have at least a theoretical performance advantage.
Various people have been saying, for example, that Checkpoint's
days are numbered because stuff like Netscreen performs much
better.

There is an interesting counter-argument:

If you buy a "software" package and install on a piece of hardware,
the ASIC based box will be much faster today, at ~5x the total price
of the "homegrown" solution.

However, in a little while, PCs will have caught up[1] or even bypassed
that ASIC based box. You can replace the PC hardware yourself for $2K.
How much is a new ASIC based box?

/Mikael

$std_disclaimer: I work for a firewall vendor whose software mainly
runs on x86 architecture boxes.  This however does not mean that I had
these ideas spoon fed to me.  I can think for myself, thankyouverymuch :)

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden

[1] PCI-X motherboards are making it out into standard server chassis
    right now. PCI-X on a cool mobo does _really_ interesting things
    to network throughput.