Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Proverbial appliance vs software based firewall

From: bmonkman () icsalabs com
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 13:33:36 -0400

- From a security point of view, that has been our experience at ICSA
Labs as well. There are plenty of reasons to consider an "appliance"
firewall over a "software based" firewall. But when it comes to
security, "appliance" firewalls do not have any advantage over
"software based" firewalls. There are plenty of vendors on both sides
that get it right. Just as there are vendors on both sides that get
it wrong.

And I won't get into the discussion on how to choose what is best for
you. One size definitely does not fit all. There are plenty of people
here much smarter then myself that have recently made excellent
suggestions on how to make that choice. A search of the Firewall
Wizards archive will help.

Best regards,

Brian Monkman
Firewall Programs Manager