Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proverbial appliance vs software based firewall

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () jmu edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:54:52 -0400

"Philip J. Koenig" wrote:

Now Checkpoint has commissioned a test that purports to show
their product performs better than "dedicated hardware" from
Cisco and Netscreen.  I would like to have people's opinion
on this test, in part because my observation of Tolly Group
test reports is that they're one of these "guns for hire"
that never writes a bad review for someone who pays them for
one.

Gag.

It wouldn't cause me so much heartburn if the title and intro
specified they were only measuring raw VPN throughput.

While the title of the report says:

"Competitive Evaluation of Enterprise-Class Internet Security
 Solutions"

the evaluation is pretty limited:

"Engineers configured the DUT as a single-rule, allow-all
 firewall"

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services