Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Variations of firewall ruleset bypass via FTP

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 19:49:59 +1000 (EST)

In some email I received from Mikael Olsson, sie wrote:
[...]
Darren Reed wrote:
That aside, my view on this is "funky ACKing" may be within the
bounds of legal TCP operation, but it's not what any "nornmal"
FTP client is going to do so throw those packets away.

I've been asking myself this question. It applies to IDSes too.
(Indeed, I was pondering IDS evasion techniques when I came up with this.)
There _is_ in fact a valid use for partial acknowledgments.

- Receiving end checks pool of receive window buffers and comes to
  the conclusion that there's plenty free. Sends out RWIN=8192
- Sender sees RWIN=8192 and fires off several full-length segments.
- Receiver receives segments, but, ACK(tm)! Other sockets snarfed all
  the buffers! All we can get our hands on is a measly 512 byte one!

At this point, the receiver can either just drop all segments, _OR_
grab hold of the 512 first bytes of the first segment, and send out
an ACK that only partially acknowledges the first segment.

Sure it can happen but how often does it really happen ?  For the
minor convienience of dropping whatever packets and causing a full
resend, I think I'm happy to discard partial segments.  Given this
is only currently done for the FTP command channel (and that's hardly
a massive user of buffering), I'm not concerned.  If it breaks 1 time
in 100, but the other 99 are secured, that 1 off is a sacrifice I'm
willing to force.

[...]
However, IMHO, the same _shouldn't_ have to be true for an attacker that
simply creates file names (without CRLFs in them) via FTP and issues
STAT commands.  I'm thinking that f.i. the latest version of ipf stops
this, but not the version currently shipping with NetBSD?

I'm not in control of what version ships with NetBSD.  SEP.

Darren