Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Primitives

From: Predrag Zivic <pzivic () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 09:00:16 -0800 (PST)

The fact that there are HUGE numbers of new
protocols and
many of them are designed by idiots, poorly
documented, and
proprietary makes packet-filtering firewalls nearly
necesssity. It's why (in the early days) CheckPoint
did
so well: you could let some braindamaged cruft
through a
checkpoint more easily than through a proxy
firewall.
Note: I said "let through" not "secure" - though
there
were people who felt that going and telling a
firewall
"let Oracle back and forth on port XYZ" meant that
the firewall was somehow "securing Oracle."
Fortunately
Oracle is now unbreakable...
Hey, I would add PIX to the exact same group. It is
the quickest firewall out there, since it does let
through everytihing:-)) Marcus, you are exactly on the
spot with protocols and security.
Well, I think that in the next two years, morronic
stuff like "secure filtering" and "Six As of Security"
will die down as people become more educated, or am I
just dreaming...
It is upon us to fight with "we secure everything"
marketing claims; or are we going to be a group of Don
Quihotes...

pez