Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Primitives

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () wirex com>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 21:55:28 -0800

George Capehart wrote:

Crispin Cowan wrote:
George Capehart wrote:

This is interesting.  So, a firewall really should/could/might be a
multi-layer, multi-protocol switch . . .
But of course. That's all firewalls ever were, but marketing hates it
when people discover that :)
Doh!  OK, I'll buy that.  I'd really (in my own way) seen firewalls as being
more like band-pass filters.  But that's probably another discussion.  When
I wrote "switch" I was really thinking "router."

:/g/switch/s//router/g

As I was taught, "switch" ::= "level 3" and "router" ::= "level 4". Firewalls are "whatever freakin' level you like" (see my previous rant on "intrusion prevention is really firewalls in drag" <http://lists.insecure.org/firewall-wizards/2002/Aug/0137.html>) so it amounts to the same thing.

It really did seem that he was suggesting that the firewall actually
actively route, as opposed to "look at the packet and drop it if it doesn't
like it . . ." ;-]

And from a security or functionality perspective, why would we care about the difference?

 So, I really meant to use the term router.  That is a
step beyond the "throw it in the bit bucket if I don't like it" function

The "routing" function I had in mind was for "service networks", i.e. DMZ's as served off a firewall with 3 NICs.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/