Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Primitives

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 16:31:50 -0500

Devdas Bhagat wrote:
IMHO, most organizations should not care about packet filtering
firewalls dropping packets on the edge in accordance with policy.

That's certainly not your policy decision to make for any network
but your own. You're also implicitly assuming that the firewall is
a boundary-only device - which is not (or shouldn't be) the case
with all firewalls. Additionally, the organization may wish to
keep data about number and type of disallowed connections. It has
always struck me as strange that many organizations deny traffic and
don't log the denies - but spend lots of money on IDS.

The only place where you want to collect information is a honeypot,
which is a different kettle of fish.

I want to collect information _everywhere_ - don't assume where
I do or don't want to collect information! :) Besides, the presence
of a firewall may make it IMPOSSIBLE to collect some of the info
I want. That's the whole problem. The segregation between
IDS/Firewalls/Honepots/VPN/AV is all a figment of your imagination!

doing app-level processing and signature checking against the
incoming (or optionally outgoing) stream to check for misuse or
This would be a matter for an application layer gateway. I don't know
about others, but I certainly count application layer gateways/proxies in
my firewall architecture.

Gee, I seem to remember saying something like that, myself, once. ;)

<repeat rant>
Older systems were not fast enough to check all network traffic for
malicious behaviour. Modern systems are fast enough to do protocol
validation for most speeds
</repeat rant>

Older systems _were_ perfectly capable of doing checks for malicious
behavior. A few of them did, even the first proxy firewalls. The
reason firewalls don't do exhaustive checks has more to do with
market dynamics and time-to-market than it does with performance
issues in doing fast checks. Simply put: most customers would rather
buy something that says "gigabit" on the marketing glossies than
something that says "freakin' intensely secure"

mjr.
---
Marcus J. Ranum                         http://www.ranum.com
Computer and Communications Security    mjr () ranum com